Monday, June 21, 2010

INBOXication: L.E.$.



For the last two weeks I've been listening to two CDs in the car. One is Cee-Lo's Stray Bullets, and the other is L.E.$.'s Settle 4 Le$.

Now, I can't lie. I didn't start listening to L.E.$. until sometime a couple weeks ago. I remembered getting a couple emails about him but man, I was so turned off by his mixtape title. Settle 4 L.E.$.??? Hell no! Why would I want to do that? Settle for less? With a dollar sign in it too? Hell no. Then on top of that, I saw that his producer was Mr. Rogers.

Now, I'm not trying to hate on Mr. Rogers, but, that guy is responsible for alot of the music that's coming out of Dallas right now. You know...all that "Mr. Hit Dat Hoe"..."Do The Flex"...dance shit they've been doing out there for the last couple of years. Then on top of that, his production unit is called "The Shit Factory" and their tag is the sound of a toilet bowl flushing.

I interviewed Mr. Rogers a couple months ago and he told me that he was much more than that. He said he also produced for Z-Ro, Slim Thug and Trae...most notably Trae's classic "Swang." So, I kinda looked at him in a better light after hearing that. But I still couldn't get that other shit out of my mind.

But then, I started seeing some of L.E.$ music pop up on other sites that I respect. The stuff I heard was jammin' so I figured I'd go back and peep some of it out. I started with the Settle 4 Le$ and haven't been able to stop listening yet. Here are a couple of my favorite songs from the project:


"Make A Lot of Money"


"Les Ridin"


"What's Goin Down"

He has a laid back sound with some slow-rolling, sample-heavy production. As far as his flow and content, think Paul Wall but with less talk about his grills and cars and more about everyday living. He's the newest member of Slim Thug's Boss Hogg Outlawz, but hopefully he'll continue to do his own thing and not get out shadowed. Everybody I've put up on it is messing with it. Shit jammin, ya'll check him out when you get a chance.

No comments: