Thursday, January 14, 2010

R.I.P. Teddy Pendergrass



Crazy...the title of this song is how I actually feel after hearing that Teddy Pendergrass just passed away. Sadly, I thought the man had quietly passed years ago...apparently I was very wrong. I hadn't heard anything from or about the man for quite a while. I guess in this information overload age we live in now, you kinda expect to hear about a famous/notable person's every move on a minute-by-minute, blog-by-blog, day-by-day basis and when you don't...you figure they've "fallen off the map" or died...rather than thinking that hell, they might just be living their life, minding their business...or in Mr. Pendergrass' case, living in illness for years.

Obviously, this man will be very missed. Teddy P was one of the few artist that has a catalog of songs that pretty much speaks to every moment of your life and damn near embedded in your entire existence.

Whether its through your favorite rappers or songs sampling one of his classics or having one of his songs remind you of playing in the living room as a child each time the song comes on or even using his song as a soundtrack while sitting in silently in your room drinking wine after breaking up with your ex...living in joy or suffering bad luck, Teddy Pendergrass' music is sprinkled throughout your life someway, somehow.

R.I.P.

1 comment:

Kicket said...

RIP!

at 187 Prod we just paid our own little tribute to Poppa Mitchell and Teddy P:

http://www.187prod.com/R-I-P-Willie-Mitchell-et-Teddy.html